The State of SF Galleries

I was very sad to hear about the closing of well known galleries in San Francisco. A roundup of the galleries either closing or moving to smaller spaces can be found in an article by Micaela Van Zwoll here. Don Soker has closed its doors at 49 Geary and is moving to 100 Montgomery, Suite 1430. I always visit that gallery when i do my rounds at 49 and 77 Geary. He would always so welcoming and i enjoyed his stable of artists. It won't be the same. Another big surprise was the closing of Hacket-Freedman, which i just visited a couple of months ago. They produced really wonderful exhibits and i've bought several of their catalogs.
I need galleries, not so much because i would love one to represent me but it is important for me to look at what is going on in the world of contemporary art outside of museums.

Comments

Popular Posts