Tomato Still Life


The tomato still life using only a palette knife. I wanted to address my aversion to red paint and also, i was having dinner at a local Italian restaurant and in front of me was what i thought was a boring painting of cherry tomatoes. That got me thinking about why the painting was boring? The one thing that bothered me was the use of color - tomatoes are red so the artist used red paint. The stems were green so the artist used green paint. And i get the current fascination with "child-like" painting but this wasn't that. So rather than harp on this painting, i thought i better put my money where my mouth is and see if i could do better. Do i think it is better? That would be a big "maybe" but it was fun to do. So fun that i started another one. In painting this still life, i didn't use any of my beeswax medium so the painting is very shiny. It was difficult to photograph and i am reminded why i like adding beeswax to the paint. The beeswax medium gives the paint a certain consistency i like but more importantly, the painting has a matte finish which for me allows the viewer to enter the painting more easily. I think it makes the painting more inviting.

Comments

Popular Posts