Sherie Franssen et al

I knew Friday was going to be a busy day since i had to finish preparing my canvases for a show at the Bank of America in Sunnyvale and i had to visit two galleries before their shows ended. The John Berggruen Gallery was showing "Abstract and Figurative - Highlights of Bay Area Painting".
"Berkeley #37"










"Interior with Flowers"

So, obviously, they had Richard Diebenkorn's work - what a pleasure to view the work in such a lovely gallery with great light - the other artists featured are Elmer Bischoff, Manual Neri, Theophilus Brown, Nathan Oliveira, David Park, Wayne Thiebaud, and Paul Wonner. The show is on through Feb 28.
Next, a visit to Dolby Chadwick because the current artist was mentioned as a highlight of 2008 in an article by the SF Chronicle art critic, Kenneth Baker.
Sherie' Franssen created paintings that completed engaged me in a way that doesn't happen very often. It was one of those rare moments where i felt so glad to be alive to have been able to see the work. Sometimes, paintings make me think "wow" but this was much more than that. I responded to her brush strokes, her use of color and the lovely juxtapositions between them and the layers. Her work reminds me of another favorite artist, Joan Mitchell.

A friend recommended i visit the Weinstein Gallery. I went in, saw all those Chagalls, turned around and left immediately.

After returning to the studio, i continued to assemble my 4 part painting "Foliage" which is pretty heavy since it is made of wood panel. I am worried as to how i am going to hang such a heavy and cumbersome painting. Tomorrow, install 6 paintings there. And as of tomorrow, i will have 3 exhibitions of my work. Whew!

Comments

Popular Posts