California Academy of Sciences

Today, I went to the new Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. I have been waiting with great anticipation because i have so many fond memories of the old place. My mom used to take me there and i still remember the thrill of seeing the alligators and reptiles, the wonder of the aquarium and the eeriness of the dioramas. I used to go on dates there, the dark areas being convenient for stolen kisses and hand holding. And i took my sons there frequently, the perfect place to bring kids when the weather was inclement. Today being a holiday for many, the place was very crowded. It took a long time to get in because we were in a long line to buy a membership and then there was a long line for the members entrance. But, i was determined to get in today as i really wanted to see the place.

When we finally got in, the first thing to "greet" us was a cafeteria atrium...nice but not what i wanted my experience of a natural history museum to start off with. I wanted to see something natural. At the old place, the alligators in their large habitat surrounded by reptiles and amphibians greeted me. That's what i remember because it was spectacular to a child. The ponds of fish though were very nicely placed on either side of this atrium. This walkway to get around to the other side of the atrium was beautiful and the fish exhibits were tremendous but in total, seemed very small. The old place had large tanks and seemed to have more fish. It seemed built to accomodate a much smaller crowd. It was very congested and the stairways were narrow. There were many stairs so i was wondering how convenient it was for people with strollers. Yes, there were elevators but it seemed like it would have been nicer if there were ramps instead of waiting in yet another line.

The place seemed much smaller although i didn't go into the planetarium nor the rain forest(way, way, way too crowded with the long, long, long lines) The dioramas seemed reduced (yes the penguins are cute) and it seemed that alot of the natural history information no longer exists nor the anthropological exhibits.

I could have easily spent several hours at the old place, but today, i was done and bored after one hour. The sculpture by Maya Lin was disappointing. I liked the piece but i didn't like where it was. I assumed it was a site specific piece but it didn't seem to fit there - it got lost with the busy-ness of the architectural details.
Some of the positives: 1.) the living roof although it would have been nice if we could walk around it a bit instead of confining us to a small area. 2.) some of the water displays were spectacular 3.) they kept the pendulum and the seahorse railings.
I will have to return when it is less crowded to take in a planetarium show. My first assessment = I am tremendously disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts