Asian/American/Modern Art: Shifting Currents

I went to the deYoung Museum to see several shows but the one that i want to highlight is Asian/American/Modern Art: Shifting Currents, 1900–1970
October 25, 2008 — January 18, 2009
It was fantastic! It isn't getting much press and when you go to the website, you don't see it mentioned immediately but i really enjoyed it. It was one of those shows that makes me want to rush back to the studio because it was very inspiring. I bought two postcards - i would have bought more but they didn't have the images i wanted such as the work by Yayoi Kusama and several of the Japanese American photographers.
I love the work of Chiura Obata - here is "Mother Earth".







And while i liked George Matsusaburo Hibi's work, i bought the postcard because it reminds me of something i need to try in the studio. His wife's work, Hisako Hibi was wonderful as well. She documented the Japanese American internment with thoughtful and poignant drawings and paintings. I was pleased to see the work of Carlos Villa, one of my favorite professors from San Francisco Art Institute.
The George Hibi image was removed as requested by the owner.
I realized after seeing the Yves Saint Laurent exhibit that i don't like his aesthetic so don't buy me any YSL couture for Xmas! I was still impressed with the construction of his garments. I am still looking for the fashion designer that Mrs. Peel would buy from. Clothing that is sensible, modern, stylish, and comfortable enough to do TV karate in.

Comments

Popular Posts