Vanity Galleries

I received an email from a gallery in a desirable location in New York City which will exhibit your work for a fee. The original posting detailed verbatim their letter describing their services. I described it as a "vanity gallery" and said "I haven't heard anyone benefitting from this kind of relationship. It has been described to me as not really having a relationship at all, as one might have with reputable galleries. I have heard stories that wealthy but new to the practice of art buy into this and have a show.
And interesting article about vanity galleries here.

The gallery then sent me a threatening letter saying it was going to sue me for slander. So,i have removed the letter but still believe that vanity galleries are to be avoided.

Comments

Anonymous said…
thank you. i received the same letter.
Unknown said…
There is an indepth article on Vanity Galleries plus advice on how to approach legitimate galleries at http://www.manhattanarts.com/readingroom/ezine/CareerBusiness/Renee_Pay.htm
Anonymous said…
I received a similar email today...

Popular Posts