info on nihonga painting

One of the great things about this blog is that people respond to questions i have. In this particular case, i was wondering about nihonga painting and using rabbit skin glue and Judy Kruger whom i met when i was in Chicago kindly sent me this info...
You actually CAN use rabbit skin glue but it isn't as flexible so it makes the pigments stickier and less luminous in the end (could crack off the painting surface). Resin is the binder in acrylics (plastic). Fish glue can also be used. FYI, nihonga painters ONLY use the third finger for mixing pigment. The only toxic pigment is shu (red) which is merecury sulfide and should be mixed the same way but with gloves. FYI, I'm working on a traveling nihonga workshop for somewhere in CA or Hawaii or come visit me in Chicago for in-depth lessons.
If anyone else is interested in learning about nihonga painting, shoot me an email and maybe we can organize a class in San Francisco.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bonjour Katherine!
I am a french nihonga student, so if you come in Paris you could learn with my teacher...
Have a look to my blog..
Valérie++

Popular Posts