Gary Garrels joins SFMOMA

Good news for SFMOMA - Gary Garrels will join the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) as the new Elise S. Haas Senior Curator of Painting and Sculpture. As senior curator of painting and sculpture, Garrels will have primary responsibility for planning major exhibitions, instigating new scholarship, recommending acquisitions and guiding the collection, and engaging actively with artists, collectors, and curatorial colleagues around the world. Garrels organized one of my all time favorite shows, Brice Marden: A Retrospective of Paintings and Drawings. It was after seeing that show that inspired me to pursue my current work in color field.
However, since returning from Chicago, i have been in a painting funk - i need to do something different to regroup my thoughts and to return to the basics of drawing. I am thinking of taking a 5 week figure drawing class at City College of San Francisco. Doug Restivo teaches the TWTh class, from 9 to 2:45. I've taken this class from him 3 times before and really enjoyed his teaching style. He is organized, spends time with each student, kind of nerdy (which is a characteristic i am obviously attracted to), has great models, has meaningful assignments, knows his stuff, and concentrates on the basics. Doug was a featured artist at Graton Gallery recently.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to say that over the past year I think SFMOMA has been at it's best in quite some time. I go frequently (and now proudly) and both the traveling exhibitions and the items on display from the permanent collection have been very exciting.

I think, in it's current state today, the permanent collection is curated and displayed fantastically.

Also, the Brice Marden exhibit brought me to tears it was so good. I spent about an hour sitting in front of Four Seasons and travelling chronologically from the past to the present and in reverse was such a delight.

If Garrels was responsible for that amount of personal ecstasy I'm happy that he is now a part of our local art family.

Popular Posts