Day 6 Chicago - last day of Artropolis

I've been staying with William Hunter in the Flat Iron Builing in the Wicker Park area of Chicago. This a 20 second video of the studio and his pugs.

I wasn't sure what was involved with shipping my paintings back to SF so i thought I should be available on Tuesday. However, it sounds like we need to be packed and ready to be out of here by midnight tonight so i changed my flight so i could go home a day earlier. I was in a little bit of a panic when my original shippers, Craters and Shippers, refused to come to the Merchandise Mart at the designated time because of the madness of everyone trying to get their stuff loaded so i made another call to For Now Freight, and John was most accomodating. I got his number from my neighboring sculpture friends.

I had thought i would spend a free day in Chicago, visiting museums and hanging out but i am homesick and have had enough art. Today is the day when people said they might come back...but it isn't looking good with one hour left of the show.
At 3 pm, the show was officially over and at 3:05, my crate appeared. What efficiency! I loaded up, said goodbye to my neighbors and got into a taxi. I felt very disappointed with the outcome of the show. But i learned a few things: 1.) there was interest from the interior design market. 2.) young couples with children seemed to be the most intersted in my work. 3.) my work attracts other painters. 4.) Chicago is a great art town and eventhough my stuff didn't sell well, there were others who did quite well, even during these dismal economic times. 5.) along those same lines, the show was well attended by an enthusiastic public.
Some things might come from contacts made but i need to now focus on painting. I've spent the last 4 months in production for the show and i need to return to the art and craft of painting. I regret not being able to hunt down Edward Winkleman to shake his hand and to thank him for his insightful blog but i was (and i am sure he was) very busy. Now, to end this blog with a funny piece about galleries and attitude.

Comments

Popular Posts