Day 5 Chicago, 2nd day of Artropolis

I was told that Saturday would be the busiest day with the most traffic and so far at 12:30 pm, I've spoken to more people than the previous days.  Not as many painters coming by with questions, athough there are more of them than interested people.  Not to sound pessimistic, but i really doubt i will sell any paintings.  I think it is just the wrong show.  People are buying art, just not mine.  My friend, William Hunter who also has a booth has sold almost all his works on paper, received an invitation by a great gallery to give them a call next week, and a possible solo show at a local museum.  This show was really worth it for him and it's only been one day!   Now, highlighting some of my neighbors who have been wonderful, watching over my stuff when i am away.    Ana Lazovsky, sculptor and her husband David Gil, from Kadima, Israel and their figurative sculptures are my view from my little desk.  They have been getting a lot of interest from the patrons.  When i first arrived to my booth, David noticed me struggling with a small Phillips srewdriver, trying to open my crate.  He came over and offered a power tool - i was so grateful!

One of the attendees who came by commented on my paintings as having a Japanese aesthetic.  I was surprised since he is the second person who has mentioned this feature in my paintings.  I have never been interested in Asian art and do not reference them in my paintings but he thought it was in my DNA.  He was quite an interesting person to talk to with some notoriety.  His name is Derek Monroe, also known as the ethical terrorist.  He is a freelance journalist and conceptual installation artist who lived in Japan for many years.  While my Japanese is at the kindergarten level, his is impeccable.I just got an update from William Hunter and he reports he has sold every painting except one!
I was pleased to see an old friend who i took sculpture classes with at CCSF but who now lives in Chicago, Thuy Ngo. I was glad she used the VIP passes i sent her.
The traffic definitely was amazing and i spoke to a few people who seemed genuinely interested in my work. Some possible leads...

Comments

Popular Posts