Open Studios Weekend 3 Sunday

I spent Sunday at only one place, 1890 Bryant because there was so much art to see in one place and i must say, i was very surprised at how good and professional the space and art were. Some of my favorites were:

Diane Komater, wireist - i particularly liked the head pieces. I liked the idea of using wire like a line drawing and she has an amazing skill.


Wendy Miller - her series on found photographs and doing portraits on linen were beautiful. I loved the combination of charcoal with oil stick and thinly applied paint. She is mostly a landscape painter and her series on small oil paintings on book covers were charming and done with humor as her images were based on the title of the books. She sewed up the pages so that one would not be able to read the contents.



Charles Stinson, sculptor and printmaker and a the significant other of a friend from Rhythm & Motion Dance Center. His immaculately furnished studio showcased very nicely his sculpture and i didn't realize that he was also a printmaker. I was tempted to buy one of the prints but since my living situation is in a state of flux, i hesitate to buy anything. Perhaps, after the madness is over.


Brett Goodroad - painter

I am afraid this image doesn't do his work justice. His paintings were quiet and masterfully done. From what i can tell, he received his MFA from SFAI.

I had a "what the..." moment when i entered her space. She makes use of plastic bags and other packaging to create collages with many layers. This gives her pieces an amazing transparancy and beauty.


Next weekend, it will be my turn to show my work - last year, we had a very low turnout possibly because we were showing the same weekend at Hunters Point Shipyards. May the Gods smile on Francisco Studios!






Comments

Popular Posts