Root Division Auction

Last Friday night was the Root Division auction and if i were a collector, i would make sure to go to the live auction every year because there were bargains to be had! I was amazed at the prices the art was going for - most of the items went for way below their retail value which is usually a little inflated but still, there were some great deals. One of the items went for above the retail value which puzzled me since i didn't think the piece was all that interesting...but it got me thinking that the crowd was mainly made up of people new to collecting and therefore haven't developed an "eye" for art. But, you got to start somewhere! It was an extremely well organized event and i hope they made good money. My only complaint was the specialty cocktail they featured reminded me of vomit - it doesn't happen too often when i have to throw a cocktail away. About 90% of the silent auction pieces went without any bids by the time i left, which included my donation. I wonder if i need to pick up my piece this week?
I saw one person i knew, my professor from SFAI, Brett Reichman. I swear he keeps looking younger every time i see him.

Comments

Popular Posts