Westwave Dance Festival

Oh those distractions are keeping me from the studio but they are necessary. I was able to at least attend a couple of dance performances which keep me connected to art. When i watch dance, i am always thinking about how the dancers are placed on the stage, their silhouettes, their interactions and of course, their movement. I am always interested in how the stage is dressed up with props or background- most of the time it seems that money might be an issue and that's why it is pretty minimal. I like to think about how things could complement dance.
So, at least i went to 2 nights of the Westwave Dance Festival, the 16th season of contemporary choreography. Some highlights...i loved, loved, loved, "Gnome Trouble" choreographed by Catherine Galasso, "Are you Emotionally Involved" choregraphed by Kerry Mehling and Travis Rowland, "Odd Times" choregraphed by Lisa Townsend, "The Ties that Bound, Studies" choreographed by Wendy Rein and Ryan T. Smith. First of all, everyone of these pieces were danced by impeccably talented dancers and that helps alot. A couple of them used images on a large screen really well, and one used spoken work well. Whenever i hear that there will be spoken word, i cringe because it is almost never well integrated into the dance...that is if dance is even involved!
I often go to dance performances to support my favorite dance instructors but while i did that by going to Westwave, i would've gone to see RAWdance to see Dudley Flores, Wendy Rein, and Ryan Smith anyway just because they are such phenomenal dancers. And isn't it nice to know that they are all really nice people as well?
An old friend contacted me after viewing my website and wants to see "Orchid" before deciding to buy it. I am glad that someone is interested in this new work!

Comments

Popular Posts