Difficult Red



Had a window of painting opportunity this Sunday morning. I added 3 more layers and am finding this color to be quite a challenge. Using it's complement color does not enhance the painting and i haven't found those "wow" colors that i have been able to find in all my previous Strata paintings. I am calling this series "Strata" until i can think of a better name. I wanted to highlight the multiple layers of pigment and wax yet i didn't want to sound spiritual with names like "nothingness" (which is what i am thinking about when i am painting) or sound gradiose with a name like "atmosphere".

I think one of the reasons that red is a difficult color is that its complement green is very similar in value. The impact of the complement is different than say the yellow purple complement. I am forced to think differently about red and the colors that support this painting.

Comments

Popular Posts