fantastic canvas pliers and RAWdance




I began to prepare new surfaces yesterday but i was dreading stretching the canvas because of a problem with my right thumb. Dana Kawano loaned me this incredible canvas plier that made the job easy and the canvas was taut. Also, i built two 3 ft X 4 ft panels at home. Now, the layers of gesso and sanding before starting another painting. I rarely use red so it will be about red!



I found a moth that was attracted to my gray painting and not to any of the other colors which i thought was interesting.




One of the activities that i do that inspire me is to attend dance performances. Last night, i went to see RAWdance http://www.rawdance.org/ perform at Union Square Park in San Francisco. I know the choreographers, Wendy Rein and Ryan T. Smith and love their work and I know one of the dancers. Dudley Flores who teaches at Rhythm and Motion http://www.rhythmandmotion.org/ , dances with RAWdance as well as is a member of the Printz Dance Project http://www.printzdance.org/. Wendy and Ryan choreograph "in the round" so every view is thought of but i think it must be challenging to think of movement seen from every angle. What i love about their choreography is the partnering between the dancers, the repetition that allows the eye to rest but that leads to engaging movements and that they have their unique dance vocabulary. I don't understand if there is a narrative or not but it doesn't matter to me. Their costumes were intriguing and obviously part of the narrative - i would love to hear what they have to say about process and inspiration.

Comments

Popular Posts