Banzai/Godzilla




Wednesday night Mick and I went to the SFMOMA Rental Gallery to see






Banzai/Godzilla: Japanese Influences in American Culture Then and Now



My studiomate and friend, Scott Tsuchitani was one of the invited artists. (he is the one in the center) It was a very well attended event which was great for the artists but it was difficult to see the art. It would have been nice if there was some text to go with this exhibit. Just some explanation by the curator to talk about issues or what the emphasis was about or how he/she chose the artists. Some of the art was deliberate kitchy, some typically "Asian", and some a curiosity. As a painter, i am always more interested in paintings and found a painting by Peggy Gyulai to be quite beautiful and an acrylic painting by Laura Dufort to be mezmerizing. While some of the titles had an Asian theme, it seems one could label just about anything to fit in a show.


In order to get my husband Mick to join me, i had to entice him with dinner at Greens Restaurant, conveniently located next door to the Rental Gallery.









On Thursday, I continued with preparation of my supports and went downtown to pick up my slides from Don. And while i was in the area, i stopped by the John Berggruen Gallery http://www.berggruen.com/ to see the Mark Adams watercolors and Sergei Sorokko Gallery http://www.sorokko.com/ to check out the Damien Hirst pieces. Do you think he actually touched those pieces or did one of his minions do the work?
Since my gray painting is officially finished, here are the colors i used to create it.


Tonight will be spent scanning my slides, photoshoping the colors to be more true and then updating my website with the new images.

Comments

Popular Posts