Ross Penhall, Landscape Painter

I have been subscribing to Robert Genn's Painters Keys blog for a few years and rarely do I find the featured work to be relevant to my work.  But the latest edition highlighted the work of Canadian painter Ross Penhall, reminded me of paintings I started last year after my annual trip to Sheepdung in Mendocino county.  


"Howell Mountain Road" by Ross Penhall
48 in X 60 in
oil on canvas
 I love his depiction of his trees and  I love finding work that is similar to what I am doing.  To that end,  I am always looking at how artists depict color fields.  What a nice surprise to findhis work of stark landscapes with a particular style of trees.  In my work, I have my own style of trees using a palette knife.

Sheepdung 2015 by KH Kodama
oil on paper

Sheepdunk 2015 by KHKodama
oil on paper
Penhall's work is very fine, delicate, moody.  I would love to see his work up close.

"Passing Moment" by Ross Penhall
30 in X 65 in
oil on canvas
 I get a sense of comfort looking at these paintings.


"Phoenix Park Redux" by Ross Penhall
20 in X 72 in
oil on canvas
I always appreciate knowing more about the artist and the methods used.  I think it is a generous act to share their knowledge and thoughts.



It is a good time for me in the studio.  I've been working on color fields while working on my latest Washington Crossing the Delaware.  Now I want to return to my Sheepdung series.

Comments

Popular Posts